Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Reno Divorce Will Launch Second Video In 2013 With Dillon Novak

Reno Divorce on set for the second video with film maker Dillon Novak
A month or so ago, we were fortunate enough to align the weather and Reno Divorce's tour schedule and were able to produce an epic new video in Los Angeles. The video will be for the second upcoming single off of Lover's Leap. With some quick coordination all of this was able to go down and in the midst of a major storm in LA and inclement weather, a full video was still able to be shot and that amazing result will be live in late January 2013. 

In the interim, we think you should learn some more about Dylan Novak and how he challenges his thirst in film making. Below are some questions we posed to him along with some of his other feature projects.

Check out more from Dillon Novak on RSM Creative


Give us a heads up on how you got into music videos and directing.

When I was in junior high, I used to make parody videos like Weird Al with my friends to the songs we didn't like or were overplayed on the radio. It was mostly for us, because it was a lot of fun making them, and our families who loved to watch them. Once I realized that people genuinely liked the videos, I started taking it more seriously when I got into High School, shifting my focus towards bands I actually liked and making stories that complimented their image. The last and final "cover video" I did was for The Killers' "Sweet Talk". The video went on to win a bunch of festivals and was my anchor point on getting actual bands to trust me with the amount of money they had to produce a music video for them. This lead to my first relatively big music video for Brightwood of Portland, Oregon. Once I had a solid video for a real band in my pocket it was so easy! Labels started calling, the emails from band managers started pouring in telling me they want me to do a video for their artist! (This is what I foolishly thought). 

I eventually produced approximately two videos a year, while attending High School. But it took about sending 400 emails a month to every band I could find who was along my style of music and only about 10 total ever replied back. It took hard work networking to find a band and sell them on an idea, while asking them to invest thousands into the project. 

After about eight music videos and volunteer work at FSU Film, I worked up the courage to move to Los Angeles in January of 2012. A mutual friend who was the cinematographer for The Epilogues "The Fallout" music video, Greg Ephraim, referred me to Robby Starbuck to join the roster of his production company. After I wrote a few treatments, I was in! Ever since then my job has been to attempt to write an idea for anyone who comes to RSM, the production company, with a song/budget. It's highly competitive and sometimes you can be competing again 30+ people depending on how many production companies the label went to. It's sure better than sending 400 emails a month! 


Smile Empty Soul "Afterlife" Music Video from Dillon C. Novak on Vimeo.


If you had the chance, what location would you choose for a new project.

If I had to pick a location it would either be the White Desert in Egypt or anywhere in Iceland.

The White Desert in Egypt
 Also, can you explain what type of music do you envision to be a part of the location

I'd love something very relaxing and instrumentally driven like Jonsi or something very punchy like The Epilogues or 30 Seconds To Mars.


The Epilogues "The Fallout" Music Video from Dillon C. Novak on Vimeo.


For the gear you use, what is your favorite type of camera

My favorite camera is the Arri Alexa. It's just a wonderful camera that offers arguably the closest image to film from a digital camera. We shot the Smile Empty Soul music video on this camera.